Health insurance for students from EU/EEA countries
If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you must bring either the European Health Insurance Card (ec.europa.eu) or documentation of private health insurance when you enter Norway.
If you have private health insurance, please clarify with your insurance office whether your coverage applies to Norway. We strongly recommend a travel insurance in addition.
If you are a student with dual citizenship (EU passport and non-EU passport) you must register with the police either:
- as an EU/EEA citizen and show documentation of European Health Insurance Card or proof of other private health insurance coverage or
- apply for residence permit as a non-EU/EEA citizen and apply for voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme.
Health insurance for students from countries outside the EU/EEA
All students from countries outside the EU/EEA should have private or public health insurance to cover their first weeks in Norway.
Students staying in Norway for more than 3 months can become members of the National Insurance Scheme (nav.no). Please note that this membership means "coverage under the health section". If you should get ill and need medical treatment, the insurance will cover this within Norway, but not in another European country.
We strongly recommend a travel insurance in addition.
Students staying in Norway for more than 1 year
If the duration of your stay in Norway is more than one year, you will automatically become a member of the National Insurance Scheme when you register as a resident in Norway with the National Registry (Skatt ?st).
Students staying in Norway between 3-12 months
If you are staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months, you can apply for voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme. This will entitle you to social security coverage with regard to health services in accordance with the National Insurance Scheme.
- Please note that students who do not apply for voluntary membership should have a social security coverage from their home country.
How to apply for voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme:
- Fill in the application form (pdf)
You must submit:
- Letter of Admission
- Residence permit card
- Norwegian ID number (or apply for D-number when submitting the application)
Where to send the application:
- The form must be sent to the NAV office in the municipality in which you are staying.
Students living at Sogn or Kringsj? student village can send the application to NAV Nordre Aker:
- Address: Postboks 320, Alnabru, 0614 Oslo
- Telephone: 55 55 33 33
Students staying in Norway for less than 3 months
Students staying for less than 3 months can not become members of the National Insurance scheme and should have private or public social security coverage from their home country.